12.18.2012

qnd | qatar national day

Qatar National Day - one thing is for sure: these people sure know how to celebrate. The pride in country and culture here is overwhelming sometimes. It's hard for me not to compare to the country I call home. When I do, Steve reminds me that this country is young. Fourth of July over 200 years ago probably looked pretty fantastic, too. Not that our modern day Fourth of July doesn't impress, it's just... different. The line has become fuzzy about what's politically correct to celebrate when the fireworks explode in our American skies. I'm not smack talking America... never. I'm just saying it's different.





At our school there was an entire day dedicated to a festival of fun to celebrate QND, and flags were waving high all over the city for weeks leading up to the big day. Each student was given two full gift bags teeming with goodies such as, temporary Qatar themed tattoos, miniature flags, scarves, colored pencils, a coloring book, noise makers (that was a hoot), a mug, and a crazy hat.


The kids came to school in their traditional dress and teachers (yes, even me) came to work in Qatari clothing. Think black abaya, complete with hijab. Curious to learn more? Click here for a bit by Anderson Cooper about such topics.




Students were allowed to bring their swords to school for the sword dance that took place outside. Even first graders *gasp*. I will have to admit that the thought of swords and small children had me a bit on edge, that is, until I watched them participate in their sword dance. While I was convinced an eye would be taken out, unintentionally or otherwise, when I first heard that swords would be in the hands of children on the field, I was proven wrong. These swords are part of their culture and the respect they show for them is astounding. They were on the dull side, which was a relief, but the kids took great care in tucking them safely back in their sheaths when not in use. Live falcons joined the festivities. Yes, at school. The students toted them around, precariously balanced on their wrist, just as you or I would casually walk a dog.

This opportunity has been surreal.

I could write an entire blog post titled:
Things I never thought I'd do. In my entire life. Ever.

On that list?
Wear an abaya and a hijab.
Participate in an event where small children wield swords. At school.
Pet a falcon.

Just to name a few...

Some Qatar National Day highlights in pictures: